- Maintaining the Wixom Wire House as a local museum.
- Collecting, archiving, and conserving artifacts and written materials related to the city’s history.
- Increasing the community’s knowledge of local history through educational programs.
- Building the Society’s membership and fostering community involvement.
- Identifying and implementing additional methods of preserving our city’s past.
Upcoming Programs and Events
- Monday, January, 2021 @ 7:00 PM – Annual Business Meeting & Pot Luck Dinner – Wixom City Hall, 49045 Pontiac Tr.
- Monday, February 15, 2021 @ 7:00 PM – TBA – Wixom City Hall, 49045 Pontiac Tr.
- Monday, March 15, 2021 @ 7:00 PM – TBA – Wixom City Hall 49045 Pontiac Tr.
- Monday, April 29, 2021 @ 7:00 PM – TBA – Wixom Community Center 49045 Pontiac Tr.
- Saturday, May 16, 2020 From 9 AM till 5 PM – Wixom Historical Society Rummage Sale Postponed – Gibson House 49805 Pontiac Tr.
- Sunday, June 14, 2020 From Noon till 4 PM – Annual Ice Cream Social Postponed – Wixom-Wire House, Southwest corner of Wixom & Maple Rds.
- Monday, June 15, 2020 @ 6:00 PM – Annual Wixom Historical Society Members’ Picnic Postponed – Gibson House, 49805 Pontiac Tr.
- July 2020 Date TBA From 1 till 4 PM – Wixom Historical Society Irish Festival postponed until 2021 – Gibson Park, 49805 Pontiac Tr.
- Monday, September 21, 2020 @ 6:30 PM – Meeting – Wixom-Wire House, SW corner of Wixom & Maple Roads
- Saturday, October 17, 2020 From 2PM till 5 PM – A Self-guided Tour of the Wixom-Wire House – Wixom-Wire House, SW corner of Wixom & Maple Roads
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 From 2 till 5 PM – Window to Christmas-A Self-guided Tour through the Gibson House Cancelled – Gibson House, 49805 Pontiac Tr.
Board of Directors
- President; Website Contact – Laure Dorchak
- Vice President; Publicity Chairperson – Nancy Dingeldey
- Secretary; Newsletter Editor – Jackie Coulter
- Treasurer – Kathy Matusik
- Trustee – Graham Bennett
- Trustee – Nancy Bennett
- Trustee – Bertha King
- Trustee – Leo Matusik
- Trustee – Laurie Acunsius
- Trustee – Sarah Zalewski
- Trustee – Roberta Meredith
The Beginning of the Wixom Historical Society
1975 … springtime in Wixom at a luncheon hosted by Beverly Paisley, wife of Peter Paisley, owner of The Korex Company. The nation was looking forward to celebrating its Bicentennial, so much chatter centered on the subject of history. Nancy Dingeldey offered the idea of forming an historical society in the small active community, which was immediately embraced by notable long-time residents Hilda Furman, Mildred Gibson, Lillian Spencer and Sylvia Vangieson. The idea bloomed and within a few months, the Wixom Historical Society was formed. Margaret Ladd was elected its first president, Nancy Dingeldey, vice president, Helen Tillman, secretary and Thom Coulter, treasurer.
The group embarked on presenting monthly programming and immediately focused on July 4, 1976- the U.S. Bicentennial. They planned the first Fourth of July celebration in Wixom. Later, Ladd would be instrumental in convincing the Wixom City Council to purchase the property and house at Wixom and Maple Roads. Through countless hours and true dedication, the Wixom-Wire Museum was established and named as a State Historical Landmark along with the Wixom Cemetery.
Today, the Wixom Historical Society continues its longstanding tradition of offering free educational programming, hosting the Annual Ice Cream Social at the Wixom-Wire House Museum, showcasing the Gibson House with the Holiday Wassail, and participating in the May Founder’s Festival.